By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: KECOBO claims artists’ royalties hit Ksh.22M in 10 days, but Ezekiel Mutua says it’s only Ksh.5K.
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > News > KECOBO claims artists’ royalties hit Ksh.22M in 10 days, but Ezekiel Mutua says it’s only Ksh.5K.
News

KECOBO claims artists’ royalties hit Ksh.22M in 10 days, but Ezekiel Mutua says it’s only Ksh.5K.

Ivy Irungu
Last updated: July 5, 2024 6:16 am
Ivy Irungu
1 year ago
Share
SHARE

The Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO) has reported a significant increase in royalty collections for Kenyan musicians, rising from a reported Ksh.600,000 to a new high of Ksh.2.2 million.

According to a statement released on Thursday, KECOBO indicated that total collections as of June 18, 2024, reached Ksh.22 million. This surge occurred just 10 days after the exclusive license to collect royalties was granted to the Performing and Audio-Visual Rights Society of Kenya (PAVRISK).

This decision effectively transferred the responsibility from the two previously existing Collective Management Organizations (CMOs), the Music Copyright Society of Kenya (MCSK), and the Kenya Association of Music Producers (KAMP).

“The Board notes that following the issuance of a Collective Management Organization license to Performing and Audio-Visual Rights Society of Kenya (PAVRISK), collection of royalties from music users has increased from a daily collection of Ksh.600,000 to Ksh.2.2 million daily,” stated KECOBO.

“As at June 18, Ksh.22 million had been collected. This was 10 days after the issuance of the licence. This was an improvement from the collections that was being done previously by the three CMOs jointly.”

READ MORE  ‘I’m working for my children not you’ – Ndii tells off Kenyans claiming gov’t officials are paid from taxes

The Joshua Kutuny-led board went ahead to project the daily royalty collection to grow to Ksh.3 million, further noting that it is in the process to establish recording studios in all 47 counties.
It also stated that it is in talks with relevant government ministries to come up with a programme that will enable Kenyan artists to obtain loans at relatively lower rates.

“The daily collection is expected to rise to Ksh.3million daily with introduction of an enhanced system and support from music users. The Board encourages transparency in the collection and distribution of royalties by the CMO to help cut on costs and increase royalty distribution to artists to at least 70 percent of the collection,” noted KECOBO.

“The Board is in the process of engaging the Ministry of Cooperatives and Micro/ Small and Medium Enterprises Development to establish artists and creatives’ savings cooperative society (SACCO) that will give artists an opportunity to borrow at a lower rate.”

MCSK CEO Ezekiel Mutua has challenged KECOBO’s reported daily collection figures, alleging that the board ignored court orders related to a case filed after PAVRISK was granted the exclusive collection license. Mutua asserted that it is highly inaccurate to suggest that PAVRISK could have collected more than Ksh.5,000 within three weeks.

READ MORE  Gachagua boards a Kenya Airways flight to South Africa

“When the country is burning because of the arrogance and incompetence of public officials, you are here disobeying court orders and lying to the public to please your corrupt paymasters. Shame on you,” he wrote on X.

“PAVRISK has collected less than 5k in three weeks. You claiming it’s over 20M. What does it take for your useless state corporations to know that it’s not business as usual in Kenya?”

White House refuses to explain why Parkinson’s disease expert made 8 visits in eight months to Biden’s home
Zimbabwe high stakes vote spills into day two as opposition alleges rigging
International Criminal Court seeks arrest warrants against Hamas leader Sinwar and Israeli PM Netanyahu for war crimes
A boat capsizes off the coast of Mauritania, leaving fifteen dead and over 150 missing, according to IOM
African Billionaires Who See Business Sense In Football
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Ruto speaks to the IMF Chief after dropping the Finance Bill.
Next Article Farmers in Meru and Tharaka Nithi decry a locust invasion
about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players
  • Mourinho sacked as Fenerbahce manager
  • Ebang Engonga jailed for embezzlement after s3x tape scandal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?