Negotiations led by Transport Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir and Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi stretched into the evening, but no agreement had been reached by the time the parties addressed the media at around 9:30 p.m.
In a joint press briefing, Wandayi initially suggested that progress had been made and that the discussions had yielded results. However, officials from the matatu sector interrupted the briefing, insisting that no final deal had been agreed upon.
The stakeholders said there was consensus on addressing concerns over fuel adulteration, with proposals expected to lower the price of diesel while increasing the price of kerosene to match diesel rates. The move, they argued, would eliminate the price disparity that has encouraged the illegal mixing of the two fuels.
Kushian Muchiri, Chair, Association of Matatu Transport Owners said: “We have agreed on the part of adulteration that the price of diesel and kerosene be at par. On the issue of the diesel prices, that one we have not agreed and we have scheduled another meeting. In the meantime, it is our request that all our drivers and owners of vehicles continue keeping their vehicles at home. No disruption, no rioting as we await better engagements which will save the economy.”
The government indicated that the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority would announce revised fuel prices later Monday night.
Despite the discussions, the matatu sector maintained its hardline stance, signalling continued disruption in public transport services.
Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karagacha directed operators to keep their vehicles off the roads for a second consecutive day on Tuesday until further notice is issued.
The announcement is expected to deepen the transport crisis that left thousands of commuters stranded on Monday, with businesses and schools heavily affected in several parts of the country.
