By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: A surge in rebel attacks sparks deadly protests in eastern Congo
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > News > A surge in rebel attacks sparks deadly protests in eastern Congo
News

A surge in rebel attacks sparks deadly protests in eastern Congo

Ivy Irungu
Last updated: June 17, 2024 12:21 pm
Ivy Irungu
1 year ago
Share
SHARE

The eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s North Kivu province has witnessed unrest resulting in the deaths of at least seven individuals, as reported by local officials on Saturday.

The turmoil stemmed from public outrage over a surge in deadly attacks attributed to suspected Islamist rebels, particularly the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a rebel group linked to the Islamic State.

The recent violence included an ADF attack on Mayikengo village, where more than 40 people were allegedly killed, and over 80 fatalities in attacks on other villages in the province the previous week.

The escalation in insecurity has intensified public frustration, culminating in the killing of two soldiers and their driver in Lubero territory by a crowd that torched their vehicle overnight on Friday, according to local official Julio Mabanga.

Further clashes ensued on Saturday in the same area between security forces and local residents, resulting in the deaths of three more individuals: a civilian, a soldier, and an agent of the ANR national intelligence service, Mabanga added.

A similar protest erupted in Butembo city on Saturday, with hundreds of youths taking to the streets wielding sticks, chanting, and singing songs to denounce the widespread insecurity, as observed by a Reuters reporter.

READ MORE  China, Battling Low Birth Rates And High Costs, Encourages Frugal Weddings

“I’m here at this roundabout, barricading the road. We sympathise with our killed compatriots,” said Daniel Sivanzire Paluku, one of the protesters, who said they needed to block the roads to monitor who was coming and going.

Butembo Mayor Mowa Baeki Telly confirmed that one civilian was killed during clashes between security forces and protesters in the city. The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), originally from neighboring Uganda but now based in mineral-rich eastern Congo, has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State.

This affiliation has led to frequent attacks by the ADF, exacerbating the instability in a region already rife with competing militant groups vying for influence and resources.

Efforts to reach the ADF for comment on the recent attacks have been unsuccessful. However, the U.S.-based SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant websites, reported on Friday that the Islamic State’s Central Africa Province division claimed responsibility for killing 51 people in attacks in North Kivu earlier in the week.

Additionally, the group claimed to have beheaded over 60 individuals in a single attack in the province on June 7.

READ MORE  Haiti suspected gang members set on fire as conflict spreads to capital suburb
A New York Mayor is accused of bribery and fraud in Turkey.
An auditor finds school textbooks with printing errors.
i will impregnate Linet Toto Mumias MP Peter Salasya threatens after disrespecting Raila Odinga
Gov’t introduces new work permits to cement Nairobi as Africa’s multilateral hub
Federal judge block Trump administration from enforcing his executive order on birthright citizenship
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Former South African leader Zuma’s party says it will join the opposition in parliament
Next Article Concerns Over Increased Number of Road Accidents in Kirinyaga
about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players
  • Mourinho sacked as Fenerbahce manager
  • Ebang Engonga jailed for embezzlement after s3x tape scandal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?