By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: Debris of missing US jet found
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > News > Debris of missing US jet found
News

Debris of missing US jet found

new5nuke
Last updated: September 19, 2023 6:15 am
new5nuke
2 years ago
Share
SHARE

Debris from a stealth jet that went missing after the pilot ejected has been found, the US military said Monday, after a day in which failure to track the $80 million aircraft drew amazement and ridicule in equal measure.

The debris field from the F-35 was found in Williamsburg County, South Carolina, two hours northeast of Joint Base Charleston (JBC), officials said in a statement posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

“Members of the community should avoid the area as the recovery team secures the debris field,” the statement read.

When the jet disappeared over South Carolina on Sunday, JBC issued a plaintive call on social media asking for anyone who had information about it to call in.

Flight tracking sites showed several search aircraft focused on a wooded and farmland area near Stuckey, which is in Williamsburg County, about 75 miles (120 kilometers) north of Charleston, late Monday afternoon.

The F-35 Lightning II jet is coveted by US allies around the world, especially Ukraine, with its distinctive shape and features that shield it from radar detection.

READ MORE  Kenya’s war on HIV not all doom and gloom as infections drop by 78.2pc in 10 years

The pilot ejected for unknown reasons and parachuted safely into a North Charleston neighborhood on Sunday — leaving the jet flying in what some called a “zombie state.”

In 1989 the pilot of a malfunctioning Soviet MiG-23 ejected over Poland and the jet continued to fly on autopilot until it crashed in Kortrijk, Belgium, more than 900 kilometers (560 miles) away.

The disappearance of a highly advanced aircraft sparked incredulous comments online.

“How in the hell do you lose an F-35? How is there not a tracking device and we’re asking the public to what, find a jet and turn it in?” said Nancy Mace, a member of Congress representing the Charleston area.

– Hard for radar to detect –

Some posted manipulated photographs of lost signs on trees, offering rewards to find the missing jet.

One post showed Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky posing in front of an F-35, suggesting he took it.

Since Russia invaded his country last year, Zelensky has been pressing the United States to supply his air force with advanced US jets to give his military an advantage.

READ MORE  Moses Kuria wants NYS training to be requirement for public service hiring

The US has begun training Ukraine pilots on F-16s.

The missing aircraft was an F-35B, a variation operated by the Marines that has short takeoff and vertical landing capabilities.

The shape of its airframe, including two angled stabilizers on the back, and the use of special materials make it harder for traditional radar to detect.

JBC spokesman Jeremy Huggins told the Washington Post that the jet’s transponder was not working, and that its stealth capabilities added to the challenges of tracking it.

At least seven F-35s have been destroyed in previous crashes, due to a range of causes.

Azimio’s move to oppose Privatisation of parastatals in court is premature – Tetu MP
Kenya Airways’ Withdrawal from Congo Route Sparks Tension Over Rising Airfares from Kinshasa
Nandi: Protests Over Bad State Of Road Disrupting Businesses And ‘Putting Family Unions At Risk’
CS Kuria Rides Boda Boda In Kakamega To Arrive Early For Cabinet Meeting
‘Unprocedural process’: Prof. Bitange Ndemo declines appointment as UoN Vice Chancellor
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Shakahola killings: Gov’t wants to detain Mackenzie for 6 more months as probe continues
Next Article Fans in Iran give Cristiano Ronaldo crazy welcome as they run after his bus and storm his hotel (videos)
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • SWAP DEAL ON THE CARDS? Barcelona Considering Shock Move for Alexander Isak in Blockbuster Swap + Cash Proposal Involving Fermín López, With Lewandowski Waiting in the Wings
  • #Manchester United have reportedly approached Aston Villa for Emiliano Martinez!
  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?