By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: Four managers go underground, affected tea workers avoid police After BBC expose
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > News > Four managers go underground, affected tea workers avoid police After BBC expose
News

Four managers go underground, affected tea workers avoid police After BBC expose

new5nuke
Last updated: February 27, 2023 3:55 pm
new5nuke
3 years ago
Share
SHARE

A week after managers and supervisors in two tea multinationals – James Finlay and Ekaterra (formerly Unilever) – were exposed for preying on female workers and job seekers, the victims are yet to come out and record statements with the police.

The managers have also not been summoned to appear before the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) over the matter that has since assumed an international dimension.

The four managers implicated in the 49-minute BBC Africa Eye documentary that ran on February 20, have since gone underground after being suspended by the multinationals.

The Director of Public Prosecutions has since advised the DCI to investigate the issue.

“This matter is being handled by the CID, but none of the victims have come forward so far to record statements which would be used against the suspects in the course of the investigations, arrests and prosecution,” according to Kericho County senior police officer

Finlays

A majority of the workers in the tea estates said they had not been interviewed by the police.

“We are not aware of any statements that have been taken from the victims or colleagues,” a worker at Ekaterra company said, a statement echoed by others at James Finlay.

READ MORE  Over 25,000 Counterfeit Alcohol, KRA Stamps Seized In Kiambu

Sexual exploitation and human rights abuses have for decades thrived in the tea industry with women workers being the greatest victims.

Ocholla, Kibaki’s alleged son claims his life is in danger
IG Japhet Koome sued over police killings in 2017 polls
Directors Of Company In Ksh.6B Telkom Kenya Buyback Scandal Unmasked
Home Office To Pay Influencers To Post On TikTok Urging Migrants Not To Cross Channel
Protesters begin to assemble in parts of Nairobi
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article Baringo bandits defy Kindiki’s night curfew order, stage fifth attack
Next Article Varsity sides Mean Machine and Masinde Muliro relegated from Kenya Cup
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players
  • Mourinho sacked as Fenerbahce manager
  • Ebang Engonga jailed for embezzlement after s3x tape scandal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?