By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: Police arrest at least 600 people who took part in Azimio demos in Nairobi
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > News > Police arrest at least 600 people who took part in Azimio demos in Nairobi
News

Police arrest at least 600 people who took part in Azimio demos in Nairobi

new5nuke
Last updated: July 13, 2023 12:03 pm
new5nuke
2 years ago
Share
SHARE

Police arrested more than 600 people across Nairobi county during the chaotic protests that were witnessed on Wednesday, July 12, 2023.

Nairobi regional police commander Adamson Bungei said the individuals were rounded up at various places in the city county for taking part in Azimio demos which he termed illegal.

The Nairobi police boss said the individuals are being interrogated before charges could be preferred against them.

“They are being interrogated before we know the way forward,” Bungei said.

Police declared the demonstrations illegal arguing there was no official notification on the same as required in law.

More than five people were shot dead across the country with dozens injured in the ensuing confrontations between police and protesters.

Police said the protests happened in almost 30 counties.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki said the leaders, organisers and financiers of Wednesday’s demonstrations would be arrested and punished.

In a press statement, Kindiki said the government had mobilised all law enforcement agencies to investigate, arrest and prosecute those involved in the planning and execution of the crimes allegedly committed during the demonstrations, putting Azimio leaders on notice.

READ MORE  Governor Mwangaza says she snubs Igembe region due to safety concerns

“This culture of impunity will stop. All those who took part, directly or indirectly, in today’s well-orchestrated violation of public safety and security of our nation shall be punished,” Kindiki warned.
Amnesty

It remains to be seen if the hundreds of protesters arrested on Wednesday will be granted amnesty like those who were apprehended during Saba Saba demos on July 7, 2023.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) on July 10, 2023, ordered the immediate release of 73 suspects arrested during Saba Saba demonstrations.

The development came after consultations between Azimio Coalition lawyers Otiende Amollo, Dan Maanzo, John Khaminwa Ndegwa Njiru and Harun Ndubi and the Prosecution to have them freed without preferring any charges.

The 73 protestors were escorted into the court premises under very tight security at 8:45 am and held up in the Milimani Law Courts basement cells until 12:45 when the Prosecution communicated to the court that they will not be charged.

“I have received instructions from my boss that no charges will be preferred against the 73 suspects arrested over picketing on Friday. The same decision has been communicated to the Investigating officer in the matter,” state prosecutor Anderson Gikunda told Milimani Chief Magistrate Lucas Onyina.

READ MORE  Why Gachagua's impeachment trial was defective, according to attorney Willis Otieno
Suzanna Owiyo pressures gov’t to pay artistes who performed at the Africities summit last year
President Ruto drops Mary Wambui as CA Chair, appoints Charles Karondo
‘Ruto is a master of narratives,’ Gachagua dismisses being labelled tribal leader
Following Lebanon’s explosions, Emirates prohibits pagers and walkie-talkies on board.
French President Emmanuel Macron is hit in the face by his wife (video)
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article #WorldCup: Man City to receive highest FIFA pay bonus ahead of Barcelona, others
Next Article Karen Nyamu gives priceless response to accusations of wrecking Samidoh, Edday’s marriage
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players
  • Mourinho sacked as Fenerbahce manager
  • Ebang Engonga jailed for embezzlement after s3x tape scandal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?