By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Reading: Raila announces venue for demo despite police ban
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
  • News
    • Metro
    • Politics
    • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Spotify
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Newsunplug Kenya > Blog > Politics > Raila announces venue for demo despite police ban
Politics

Raila announces venue for demo despite police ban

hallanaija
Last updated: March 19, 2023 11:11 am
hallanaija
2 years ago
Share
raila
SHARE

ODM leader Raila Odinga has asked his supporters to converge at the Central Business District for their Monday demonstration.

Addressing a church function on Sunday, Raila said they will converge at the Nairobi Central Business District before the start of their mass protest.

“I’m calling on all Kenyans of goodwill to wake up very early in the morning and gather at the Nairobi Central Business District (CBD),” Raila said.

In an apparent response to a police ban that said the demo is illegal, Raila said that every Kenyan has a right to hold a demo as it is enshrined in the constitution.

“The mass action is your right, and there is no one who should by any means take that right from you,” Raila said.

raila

The statement by Raila comes after Nairobi Police commander Adamson Bungei declared the Monday protest illegal and not allowed.

Bungei said they received requests from two groups intending to hold protests on the same day and decided to grant none the permit to protest.

He said both Azimio la Umoja and Nairobi business community had written to them about their intention to hold a protest on Monday.

READ MORE  Azimio should be dissolved because it has fulfilled its purpose. - Alai

“We are in receipt of two requests that came late yesterday and today in the m morning. One was from Azimio la Umoja One Kenya and another from the Nairobi business community. The two groups intended to have peaceful demos. But for public safety none has been granted,” he said.

Bungei said the two groups did not meet the threshold to be allowed to carry on with protest and warned of dire consequences for those who will break the law.

“Any person who will breach the peace or break the law during the procession shall be dealt with according to the law,” he said.

“The public order act of 2012 is very clear, if a protest is not within the framework of that order then it is illegal.”

He assured Kenyans that their security and that of their properties is well guaranteed.

“We promise Kenyans that we are ready to secure their lives and properties tomorrow.”

Bungei at the same time said the State House of Kenya remains out of bounds.

He said the law is very clear that the State House is a restricted area and nobody will be allowed whether peaceful or not to access it.

READ MORE  UDA Urges Kenyans To Keep Off Azimio Demos On Monday

“I want to underline some areas such as State House where we have heard people planning to invade or visit is covered by the laws of Kenya that it is a restricted area for unauthorised persons,” he said.

President Joe Biden To Host President Ruto At White House
How To Check The 2023 KCPE Results On Your Phone
We Warned Russia Of The Attack Earlier This Month US says
Court Suspends Implementation Of National Dialogue Committee Report
Belgium Welcomes EU Proposal To Give Ukraine Profits From Russia Assets
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
Previous Article police Police Decline Azimio’s Request To Hold Monday Protests Over Late Notice
Next Article traders Nairobi traders denied permit to hold parallel demos
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

about us

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.

Recent Posts

  • #Transfer: ‘We can’t afford Man United’s demand’ – Real Betis pulls out on Antony deal
  • Transfer: Arsenal, Liverpool confirm deals for Kabia, McConnell
  • #EPL: Gary Neville, Roy Keane express worry over two Man Utd players
  • Mourinho sacked as Fenerbahce manager
  • Ebang Engonga jailed for embezzlement after s3x tape scandal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Newsunplug KenyaNewsunplug Kenya
© Newsunplug Kenya. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?