Trent Alexander-Arnold described as “disgusting” the alleged racist abuse aimed at Vinícius Júnior during Real Madrid’s 1-0 win over Benfica in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie on Tuesday night, February 18.
The match at the Estádio da Luz was halted for more than 10 minutes after Vinícius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of directing racist language toward him shortly after the Brazilian scored the decisive goal early in the second half.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football,” said Alexander-Arnold, the former Liverpool defender. “It’s ruined the night for the team.”

Vinícius had put Real ahead in the 50th minute with a stunning strike before celebrating in front of the home supporters, prompting a heated exchange with Prestianni. The Brazilian later informed referee François Letexier that he had been called “mono” the Spanish term for monkey. He was booked for his celebration before the racism protocol was activated.
Real forward Kylian Mbappé called for firm sanctions if the allegation is proven.
“We cannot accept that a player behaves like this in Europe’s top competition,” Mbappé said. “If it’s confirmed, he shouldn’t play in the Champions League again.”

Midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni confirmed that Vinícius reported being racially abused, while captain Federico Valverde said teammates heard “something ugly” said during the confrontation.
“If you cover your mouth to speak, it’s usually because you know what you’re saying isn’t right,” Valverde told Spanish television. “I’m proud of how Vini handled it and how he continued to play.”
Look at this video. Prestianni was already calling Vinícius Jr a “m*onkey” long before he even heard it.
That’s why Mbappé said he heard it five times, and reason why he was the first to confront him. pic.twitter.com/ApkVINqoRv
— 10 (@Kylian) February 18, 2026
